Here you can stay up to date with the latest developments in the private number plate industry, including updates on private registrations, reg transfers and developments relating to the DVLA. We will also provide news updates on private plates that have made their way into the media spotlight.
Buying a Personlised Number Plate
Personalised number plates – sometimes called cherished number plates if they have sentimental value – are getting more and more popular, but with so many different ways to buy them, it can seem like a daunting prospect. What are the different options? Which one is right for you? Here’s a short guide if you’re thinking of buying a private registration.
First of all, where can you buy personalised plates from?
- Online: there are numerous websites out there, with many offering a search function to find your perfect plate.
- In print: contrary to popular belief, printed publications still exist outside of the internet. Have a look in magazines and newspapers to see available plates – ‘The Sunday Times’ and ‘Exchange & Mart’ will do for starters.
- At an auction: the DVLA hold around six official number plate auctions each year, spread out all over the country. You can bid in person, via phone, or in writing, and they often spread the auctions out over several days, turning them into popular social events in the motoring calendar.
- From a local dealer: again, take a look in local publications to find a specialist dealer near you, if you prefer to deal with people physically rather than virtually.
How do you choose which kind of plate to buy?
There are many things to consider when choosing the registration you want to buy. Here are just a few of the main ones:
- Your budget: prices of number plates vary widely, so fixing on a number for your budget before you start looking is a good idea. It is possible to get personalised plates for under £100, but if you’re looking for something more unique – with less letters and numbers, for example – the price will go up.
- The reason you want one: people have different reasons for wanting to buy a personalised plate, and this can determine what type of plate you buy. Are you getting it for a gift? Do you want to be unique? Are you trying to promote yourself or your business? Do you want to hide the year of your car? Decide the real reason you want to buy one before you part with any cash.
- Is time a factor?: If you’re not in a hurry to get your personalised registration, you can spend more time looking around for your perfect plate. It could also be worth looking at Irish number plates, which are often cheaper, and allow for different combinations to UK registrations. They can take a while to get processed through the Irish and English licensing centres, however, so only go for this option if you know you can wait.
For more information on the kinds of personalised number plates out there (including DVLA plates and others to suit your budget), an online specialist like Private Number Plates can help.
Contact us today on 01296 334400 or take a look through our database of over 30 million number plates.